Hey! Welcome to Aussie Rules Forums!
If you are a member, Log in straight away and get posting!
If you are a guest, register here, we would love to have you aboard!
Hey! Welcome to Aussie Rules Forums!
If you are a member, Log in straight away and get posting!
If you are a guest, register here, we would love to have you aboard!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Falcon95

Falcon95

Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match Empty
PostSubject: Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match   Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 2:28 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26542498-5014539,00.html

New Zealand coach Ricki Herbert isn't ruling out resurrecting trans-Tasman football rivalry with a clash against Australia in the lead up to the World Cup.
The Socceroos and All Whites have not played each other since clashing on neutral territory in London in June 2005, when the Australians prevailed 1-0.

But a match up would have plenty of appeal for fans in both countries after New Zealand joined Australia in qualifying for the World Cup finals in South Africa in June - the first time the old foes have been in the same World Cup tournament.

Both teams have yet to finalise their schedule of warm up matches prior to the World Cup.

Asked about whether he would like his All Whites to play the Socceroos before the World Cup, Herbert told AAP: “From a historical point of view there's nothing better than when you played against Australia.

“I think that trans-Tasman rivalry in any sport is massive.

“We will see. Maybe I will have a chat with (Socceroo coach) Pim (Verbeek) one day and see what we can do.”

While Australian A-League players have been encouraged to seek overseas opportunities to ensure they keep playing up to the World Cup, Herbert hopes to keep his locally-based players together once their domestic commitments finish.

“I want to take them into camp, I'd like to get them abroad somewhere and play two or three games,” Herbert said.

“We will be training and together and we can bring the European-based players in about May, so hopefully we can make that happen.”

It looms as a busy year for Herbert, who is continuing to combine his national team commitments with coaching A-League club Wellington Phoenix.

“We will see what the future is and I might have to make a call one day,” Herbert said.

Phoenix improved their finals prospects on New Year's eve when striker Paul Ifill scored both goals in a 2-0 away win over Central Coast Mariners in Gosford.

The victory lifted Phoenix above Central Coast and North Queensland Fury into seventh spot and just three points behind fourth-placed Newcastle.

“We've got four games out of seven at home and our (home) form has been pretty decent, but you certainly can't rest on those laurels,” Herbert said.

The win over Central Coast was only Phoenix's second outside New Zealand this season, but Herbert said he had no fear about playing away from home.

“If we are going to be a finals team, we could well be drawn away in the first part of that, so you are going to have to perform well anyway,” Herbert said.

Phoenix captain Andrew Durante said if his team won their next two games at home against Brisbane Roar and North Queensland it could lock his team into the top six.
--------------------------------------
More games the better Smile
Back to top Go down
Scruffy

Scruffy

Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match   Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 2:55 pm

It would be great to see the two play each other.

It has been a long time since we have played New Zealand.
I don't see why we wouldn't want to play them, it would be great.

If the two played eachother up here I would most likely be there.
Back to top Go down

Possible Socceroos V All Whites Match
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Other Sports :: Football (Soccer)-
Jump to: